Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thesis Writing Skills?

Hello and salam everyone. I am now in a middle of writing my thesis which should be done by end of this March. Hopefully.

I've actually have been doing my writing since 2 years ago but it seems that i have a problem of understanding on how to write a good thesis. That's what my supervisor told me. ;) Hmmphh.

But anyway, i've got my new momentum to write my thesis again since one week ago after having a meeting with my second supervisor (Prof Amru Nasrulhaq Boyce) ~ the best ever supervisor which helps me alot!~ He handed me few thesis for my reference on how to write a good literature review.

Okay, first of all, I have a problem on how to write a good 'Problem Statement' for the thesis. And I googled and find out this:

1) What is a problem statement?
It is a clear description of the issue(s), it includes a vision, issue statement, and method use to solve the problem
  • Vision - what does the world look like if we solve the problem?
  • Issue Statement - one or two sentences that describe the problem using specific issues. It is not a "lack of a solution" statement.
  • Method - the process that will get followed to solve the problem.
the explanations before is from: www.ceptara.com/node/33

I googled more and found this!
There are 3 steps of how to write a problem statement:
1) Write down your problem/current state. Then, expand the problem by asking the following questions:
  • - who does it affect / does not affect.
  • - what does it effect / does not affect.
  • - how does it effect / does not affect.
  • - when is it a problem / is not a problem.
  • - where is it a problem / is not a problem.
  • 2) Same as the first step but focuses on the Desired/Future state
    3) Combine the revised problem/current state and the desired future state into a single statement.
The following diagram outlines the process:



_______________________________________________________________

Then i found this too, a problem statement's template! Make my life easier.. ;P

Resolution

State your claim. Name something interesting that you've learned about the topic from reading/discussion/research.
Consequences

Why do you think the claim is interesting or important? What bigger questions has it helped you answer? What problems has it helped you to understand or solve?

Destabilizing Moment

What specific fact/concept/reading/etc. helped you to discover the claim?

Status Quo

Before you discovered the claim, what incorrect or incomplete opinion did you hold about the topic?

http://www.faculty.virginia.edu/schoolhouse/WP/probstattemplate.html


I guess discussing on how to write a problem statement now is enough. Maybe later we can discuss on how to write a literature review, methods and result and discussions. Too much nanti tak masuk kepala pulak. ;P


p/s any other info please do inform me. :) Thanx peeps.

2 comments:

  1. Taking a bad feedback or critic from your supervisor is not bad at all. They just said it because they can see what you lack on your thesis statement writing. But, not all supervisors can really help, so it is a good idea to know what can your supervisor can do. Otherwise, you mind find yourself in a lot of trouble because of them.

    ReplyDelete